For those of you who are unfamiliar with the curly girl method, it is an approach to hair care designed for naturally curly hair that has not been chemically relaxed. It is similar to the "no-poo" method in that it discourages the use of shampoo. In plain words the curl girl method cuts out shampoo and opts for more co-wash based routine.
It was created by Loraine Massey, who wrote the book on it! She created this to help those with curly and wavy hair find their true texture. The method has been mainly used by those with hair types between 2- 3B. While anyone can use the method it is most popular with curls + waves.
Some Major Curly Girl Method Don'ts Are:
- Don’t use shampoo (at all).
- Don’t use heat styling tools (bye-bye, flat iron).
- Don’t use combs and brushes (free the curl).
- Don’t use any products containing sulfates.
- Don’t use non-water soluble formulas (they will be too heavy for the hair).
- Don’t use anything containing silicones, alcohol, or fragrance.
Some Major Curly Girl Method Do's Are:
- Do find conditioners and co-washes with gentle cleansing ingredients.
- Do use products with rich emollients like shea butter and proteins like wheat (this helps to restore your hair follicles).
- Do use styling gel with ingredients like PVP (these will help bring a little bounce to your curls and tame frizz).
Want to know some CGM (Curly Girl Method) approved products you can shop with us? See List Below: